A Travellerspoint blog

Christmas & New Year Blog

New Year's Here and I still not Shaolin!!

overcast -1 °C

Merry Xmas everyone and Happy New Year!

I know, I know, I'm running a bit behind schedule here but we've been without internet for a week or two as they upgrade us to an "optical fiber network." You'll be happy to hear we're back online now and the interweb is running a lot better to boot. As ever I have much to share with you lucky people, tales of adventure and daring-do the likes of which have not been told since... well, since my last blog I guess :)

We started the Christmas holiday with an important lesson; never volunteer for seven consecutive days of training. Due to Christmas falling mid week we were given the option of having a normal weekend and training on the Monday & Tuesday or training through the weekend and starting the holiday on the Monday. Thinking it would be better to enjoy a longer consolidated period of down-time we opted for the first choice resulting in us all being absolutely shattered by Saturday morning but still having to struggle through classes for two more days. Thankfully the masters took pity on us and our poor weak bodies and let us have Sunday afternoon off.

We had a lot of snow that weekend so we decided to kill two birds with one stone and spent the Monday building an igloo whilst clearing the snow off the car park. The first day's efforts looked pretty good but everything had to be put on hold as the next day we were scheduled for our first Holiday activity.



Tuesday 23rd we went to Horse Raising Island to visit the children of a local nursery school. A little bizarre I know but then no one here was quite sure how to celebrate Xmas so they were winging it really. Upon entering the school we were directed into a classroom where around 30 seven year old children were lined up in two neat little rows, a Santa hat on every head, and greeted with a cheery cry of "Mary Clissmas!" There was some talking in Mandarin and we came to the realization that no one here (apart from us) really spoke English. Upon turning around and looking for our translator we came to the further realization that half of our party had been split off and sent to another classroom and we were pretty much on our own.

We were waved over to some tiny chairs and sat in the middle of the lines of kids, alternating: one nursery student, one Kungfu student. The kids looked pretty stunned, particularly the ones sat between us. Despite us being issued with matching Santa hats we clearly didn't fit in and there was much staring. Class continued and we did our best to look attentive despite not really understanding much. Some songs were sung and Christmassy images displayed on a large monitor at the front of the room, it was quite sweet really, little did we know it would all soon kick-off!

After the singing had finished we were invited to play games with the children, games with a twist! In the first game I had two balloons tied round my ankle before being thrown in a ring at the front of the classroom and pitted against a merciless seven year old similarly attired. The idea was to crush the opponents balloons before they destroyed yours. As we circled each other the crowd bayed, hungry for the sight of blood! My opponent took the initiative, squeezing the life out of my first balloon between his size 3 training shoe and the cold hard floor but I was quick to strike back! BAM! And we were level pegging again! I tried to use my size as an advantage, picking him up and looking for an easy kill only to realize: as soon as his feet left the floor his balloon could not be destroyed. Dam! I put him down again, bemused. How could I win? Distracted by my musings the pint-sized devil seized his chance and moved in for the kill. Another loud "BAM" sounded my defeat. I looked to the teacher, appealing for mercy but none was to be found. The game was over and I would be returning to Yulindian in shame and defeat.



After my humiliation more was to follow, as first Mebh, then Peter and Marc fell beneath the crushing blows of these little horrors. To mark the conclusion of the games we were requested to sing an English song to appease the children, our new masters. We chose "Jingle Bells," a song which shall never pass my lips again in memory of that terrible day.

Hehe, I may have indulged in a little exaggeration but that's pretty much what happened. After waving goodbye to the children we were taken for a meal by one of their teachers as thanks for coming all this way before a quick tour of the island. Horse Raising Island (or Horse Rearing Island depending on the translator you ask) was given its name by one of the great Chinese Emperors who used the small island as a place to breed horses. These days there is a very large bridge linking the island to the main land at the end of which is a monument to celebrating the island's history.



Upon returning to the school that evening some students decided to carry on working on the igloo but most of us, exhausted by the day's activities had an early night.

Our Christmas Eve activity was a trip to Yantai. Mr. Wu (the boss of the Kungfu school) had somehow acquired a mini van (we've stopped asking) and off we went to the beach (-1 degree Celsius, the sea was slushy). Not knowing quite what else to do we took the opportunity to bust some kick ass kungfu poses on the icy beach:



After the beach we went to a Qing dynasty coastal battery that is now a museum. We took some photos of the large guns and defenses there before walking down to the sea front where they had a large number of captive seals.





I don't think the large guns and coastal defenses were related to the presence of the seals. Surely the steps would have been enough to stop their advance?

All of this was just a prequel though to Moon Beach. The story goes that if you wish to find true love then walk out along the treacherous jetty and ask the large beaten metal, moon sculpture. He will help you. :|

We were all pretty hungry now so we hopped in the bus expecting to head for a restaurant but today was to be a day of many surprises. Instead of an eatery we were driven to a university, Ludong University to be precise. Recently our school has become an associate of Ludong University and to celebrate the finalization of the union we were to enjoy a half hour meeting with the head of the foreign affairs department before being taken for one of the most incredible meals I have ever had. Wish I'd have known this was the plan, I might have put on a shirt, shaved, brushed my hair or something.


I had heard tales of Chinese feasts and hospitality but I could never have expected the banquet we received. I'd had a few meals in China so I was starting to understand that you should not stuff yourself silly at the beginning as food would continue to arrive throughout the meal but this food never stopped coming. It was very, very good and we all ate far more than we should have, but what the hell right? It's Christmas :D



After the meal we went on a tour of the University facilities and campus, all of which were very nice.



The tour finished in the University's physical education building where they train Wushu. Hmmm, I hear you say, they train Wushu? Yes, I reply, indeed they do. For those of you not in "the know," Wushu is a fairly recent development in the centuries old tradition of kungfu that stresses athleticism and acrobatics rather than effective combat skills. Basically Wushu is the flashy stuff you see in a lot of movies. The students studying at Ludong all major in Wushu and they are very good. Since we were visiting they put on a small demonstration for us that left us all feeling a little, well, inadequate.





I'm sure you've all guessed what's coming next, because we certainly had. The head of the Ludong's physical education department asked us if there was anything we would like to demonstrate for them. That's right, we've just had one of the largest meals of our lives, no warm up, no stretching, no warning and no preparation, but please show these guys who've been practicing for ten years or more what you have managed to learn in the last 4 months.


All of the students came rushing over and sat watching us fumble through our forms. It was really embarrassing. Part of the problem is that Wushu is so big and flashy that you can't really follow it with our traditional forms as they are a lot more compact. And the other part of the problem is that they've been practicing nearly all their lives and we haven't. Oh well, guess we learned something important about always being prepared to perform.


After this everyone was more than happy to squeeze back in the van and head home again. I say "home," but really I mean the kungfu school at the abandoned army base. Did I say abandoned? The final surprise of the day was arriving at the school and being stopped at the gates by armed soldiers. Mr Wu had a quick word and they waved us into the school grounds. We passed the basket ball court which was obscured by military vehicles, we passed the old office block which now appeared to be a command post and pulled up at the school building to find the army serving food from the side door. I was relieved to discover my room had not been appropriated and my Oreo stash remained undiscovered. We were informed at dinner that the military would be on maneuvers in the area for a few days and we were not to take any pictures.

Christmas day was nice and predictable by comparison. We got up late, exchanged a few gifts, had a large meal with all of the staff (they even managed to find us a turkey to eat) before spending the afternoon relaxing and watching DVDs. Probably not too different to what you all got up to, although you probably didn't have the sound of machine gun fire in the middle distance.



The final big activity of the holiday was on the Monday 29th of December. It's no big secret that Mr. Wu is a big fan of climbing: in addition to running the climbing experience days here at the school he is also head of the Yantai climbing club which has about 5000 members. As his gift to the students of the Yulindien Kungfu School he decided to take us all on an all day hike :P

None of us were really sure what to expect. The term climbing had been bandied about but we thought in this icy weather, how much climbing could they really expect us to do? It must just be a long walk right? We changed into a combination of our training gear and layers of thermals and went to the office to wait for enlightenment. For once, enlightenment didn't take long.

Mr. Wu soon arrived bearing arm-fulls of camouflage fatigues, hats, gloves and walking poles which were distributed amongst us. It appeared we were going for a walk after all. We set out around 9:30 and started hiking up the hills behind the school. The weather was cold and overcast, there was still quite a lot of snow on the ground but the exercise soon had us warmed up. We were glad of the fatigues too. We weren't really following a trail so we were having to pull ourselves through a lot of undergrowth and the coarse material helped protect our delicate legs. The going was tough, the rocks were slippery and our feet numb.


After an hour and a half of walking we reached the top of the first hill/mountain. We had had to scramble up some pretty nasty terrain to get there but we were rewarded with an impressive view. We had brought cooking implements and food with us but now was not the time to eat. To my dismay I saw the advance members of our party already attempting to scale the slope opposite us, a slope I had assumed to steep for mortal man to ascend unaided. And this was just the beginning!


We made our way over to the other slope and started to drag ourselves up between the rocks. It was slow going and more than a few times I thought I'd misjudged a hand or a foot hold. When we got to the top I had something of a nasty surprise, a saddle back ridge with sheer drops on either side. The ridge was relatively wide, around ten foot across perhaps, and quite flat but my tolerance for high, exposed places is very low. I'm glad Qu Sifu was there, he pretty much dragged me across, then he dragged me up the next slope too.




Once we were over this peak we started to descend again. I was very happy to be heading back down into the valley. We followed a stream until we found an area flat enough to set out some ground sheets and the picnic commenced! In addition to a variety of jerked meats and bread we had cocktail sausages, fruit and even some odd Chinese sweets. Whilst we were eating these a small stove was set up and the staff proceeded to make Chinese dumplings. Best dumplings I've had too :)




Not really the weather for a picnic though, snow on the ground, our gloves and socks soaked. It wasn't long before we were all shivering and desperate to get underway again. Thankfully, as it turned out, we were only about an hour's walk from the school where hot showers and warm food were waiting for us. Hell of a way to celebrate Xmas :P

New Years was actually quite sedate. The day of the 31st we had some experts in calligraphy and traditional Chinese painting come to the school. They did some demonstrations before quickly knocking out some souvenirs for us all. That was great fun. That evening some of the guys had wanted to go into Yantai and find some bars, stay at a hotel but it wasn't really my scene. In the end the weather decided for us as it snowed quite heavily so it wasn't safe to drive and everyone stayed in anyway.



The Monday after New Years we returned to training, but this year with a difference, for I will be training... MANTIS!! That's right folks I am no longer a Shaolin student, I have switched to studying Northern Mantis style kungfu. My original plan was to study 6 months of each style but the Mantis teacher is just so good I switched early. Mantis is an external style but Qu Sifu who teaches it is very focused on developing internal strength which I hope will make it an excellent compliment to the Taichi I am continuing to study.

When the weather warms up again in 2-3 months I will post some more videos, it's so cold at the moment that I'm always tired and it's difficult to get warm enough to practice outside of lessons. Last week it was so cold that the reservoir froze and we had no water for a few days. Crazy.

Anyways, this has been a monster blog entry and once again it seems very short on actual kungfu content, I will try to make the next one more kungfooee but no promises, it will probably be about Chinese New Year which we celebrate in two weeks time. Should be fun :)

All the best,

Robin :)

P.S. - Our school is on the edge of the Kunyu mountain range and the terrain rises rapidly to the East of us. For those of you interested the school can be found on Google Maps/Google Earth at (37°16'51.90"N, 121°37'55.34"E).

Posted by IRShaolin 20:57 Archived in China Tagged backpacking Comments (0)

Muping, Massage and Masses of Snow

Surviving the Chinese Winter But Still Not Shaolin!!1

overcast 1 °C


Well as you can probably guess from the picture it's getting a little colder here. Actually, that's something of an understatement, it's bloody freezing! The misty mornings have been replaced by an arctic predawn the likes of which has not been experienced since the last ice-age. And to think, I've left my snowboard back in the UK :\

Thankfully it's not snowing here all the time. We have had two relatively heavy snow falls so far but the snow has not lasted more than a week on either occasion. It does put something of a damper on training, warming up is near impossible, we are confined to the indoor training areas and it's not much fun dragging myself out of bed for Tai Chi at 6am.




The biggest problem we have experienced is an increase in injuries. Nothing major really, mostly muscle strains but with it being cold it takes longer to heal. I strained a muscle in the back of my leg about a month ago. It'd been so-so for a while, somedays fine, the next day it would be so tight I could barely do my stretches. Anyway, I decided to ask the doctor about it, see if we could sort it out once and for all.

We went to the hospital in Muping, which is... well... it's got a lot of character. The doctor there had me to lie on a table and pulled my leg in various directions whilst he poked various muscles with his other hand. He seemed to be hoping the problem was with my waist but was disappointed to find that it was in fact the muscle I'd pointed at originally that was at fault. He prescribed two large bags of herbs and two small bags of herbs and told me not to do any sprinting for a while. Magic.





When we had returned to the school I found out what the bags of herbs were for; the large bag was to be placed in a pan for half an hour and heated until steaming hot, after this phase two would begin. The now scalding bag of herbs would be removed from the pan and placed in a plastic bag. I would then change into a pair of shorts and sit on my bed. Finally the steamy package would be placed under my leg and the plastic bag pulled around my thigh, thereby enclosing the affected muscle in an aromatic therapeutic sauna. Twice a day, everyday, for a week.


Fashion. God.

The second bag of herbs was to be taped to the back of my leg whenever the previous treatment was not being applied. It's hard to describe the smell, but think of something between menthol and compost and you're nearly there. It's a month on now and to be fair my leg is feeling pretty good, although I'm not sure whether that's down to a week's rest or the mysterious bags of herbs.

As well as experiencing the treatments available at the local hospitals we have been given the opportunity to study traditional therapy ourselves in the form of "Tui Na," a type of massage. Every Sunday a massage therapist from Yantai arrives at the school to tutor us in massage techniques and also trying to fix our aching bodies. He is an expert in traditional Chinese massage and his hands are incredibly powerful. He is clearly very good, he has been working to put various people's backs into alignment and he fixed Peter's knee. Whereas you would usually expect a massage to make you feel relaxed tho, this guy's massages are incredibly painful.



He cracks people's necks and backs and stuff too, it's freaky. The problem everyone's experiencing at the moment though is that although his massage makes you feel better for a couple of days, after that you start to feel a bit sore and bruised. Some people have suggested that it's the toxins being squeezed out of the muscle and the first massage always makes you feel worse. We'll need followup massages to get us feeling better again, but then you're on the massage treadmill... first massage is free, then they start to charge. You start with just one or two massages a week and before you know it you need them everyday, you start stealing to feed your habit! You shoulda just taken some Ibuprofen before this all got too serious but it's too late for that, you're going down hard, the only question is who's gonna get ya, is it the police or the massage mafia? The police offer you a deal; give up the masseur and you get a foot spa, a cheap fix to help ween you off your habit, but you're in too deep dammit! There's only one option, sell a kidney, buy a fake passport and ship out to Sweden where massage is still legal. Maybe you can get into one of the rehabilitation programs, be one of the lucky ones or maybe you'll have your life massaged away by heartless therapists trying to profit from your addiction. Bastards ;)


In addition to being experts in Tuina it seems that the masseur and his buddy are also experts at basketball, as they proved by giving us a resounding thrashing the other weekend (and also coincidentally undoing all their previous good work as we pushed our poor tortured bodies to the limit trying to keep up with them). At least it warmed us up a bit, I guess we should be grateful.

Anyway, fun as this has been I need to draw this to a close and put my gloves back on. I hope you are all well and remembering to enjoy your insulation and central heating back in the UK, I know I'll be a little more appreciative of it in the future :)


All the best,


Posted by IRShaolin 20:36 Archived in China Tagged backpacking Comments (0)


I pass the test but still not Shaolin!

rain 12 °C

Ok, time for the second exciting installment in the mini-blog series!

I had read on the website that we would be subjected to regular Kungfu tests but there had been no mention of any since my arrival. The renovations had been causing some disruption to operations at the school and I guess we all figured that exams would be reintroduced when everything was running smoothly again. Well, we didn't have that long to wait.

The first suspicions were raised in Taichi class one morning when the master started dropping hints that we should be practicing extra hard. A few days later we were all issued with school uniforms so we knew something was up;


Shortly thereafter we were told that tests would be held the following Friday and we could perform whichever forms we wished. As it turned out that Friday was the day we had to move to the new block (see previous blog), so the exams were postponed indefinitely whilst we got ourselves sorted out with the new living arrangements. Emotions ran from disappointment to relief and various shades in between.

With the shadow of the masters' scrutiny no longer looming over us most of us used the weekend to relax and put our feet up. Little did we know, "indefinitely" when translated from Chinese means "next Thursday".

Thursday morning was wet and miserable so lessons were to be held in the training hall. Everything began as usual, we did our warm ups and stretches and started running through our drills... however before long we were interrupted and told to start practicing form. Fair enough, stranger things have happened. At nine thirty a.m. we were told we had fifteen minutes to prepare for our tests and that we should go get our uniforms on. Gits!

We all sprinted back through the rain to fetch our golden Kungfu suits, then ran back again, trying to dodge the deeper puddles, so we could snatch a few minutes of practice before everything began. The rules were laid out for us; we would enter the performance area from stage left, bow to each of the masters, then begin our form. Upon completion we were to bow to each of the masters again before exiting (stage right). Dead easy :P

So off we go then, first up was Peter with his Chen 56 Taichi form. Considering there were only 12 members in the audience and everyone knew everyone, the pressure was actually quite intense. Unfortunately Peter cracked and forgot what he was doing half way through. Doh.


Robin to the rescue! Well not quite, I was sent on to cover for him whilst he quickly tried to refresh his memory. I was to perform my Yang 24 Taichi form for the masses. They were hungry for some kungfu action and I wasn't about to disappoint! I strode out into the performance area, made my bows and began.

I'm no stranger to standing in front of a crowd, I've made presentations to hundreds of people, I don't tend to get cripplingly nervous and actually quite enjoy the attention but man, this was really tough. Even on a freezing cold morning Taichi can get you sweating but here I was under the scrutiny of three masters, my heart was beating like it was going to burst out of my chest and I was desperately trying to maintain a calm and steady pace to the movements.

Despite my shaky legs I got through my form fairly well, made my final bows to rapturous applause from the crowd and headed for the dressing room looking for champagne and groupies. Ok, maybe not but people did clap and stuff, was cool. The masters awarded me 8.2 out of 10 for my form. I felt it was a little generous but I wasn't about to argue my mark down.

Next some people who aren't me did some stuff that I wasn't really paying attention to, then it was my go again! Shaolin Long Range Fist Form. This time I knew the score, I'd been up there in front of the masters before, I could handle this and I was going to ROCK!

Unfortunately the fates were against me. I'd taken my jacket off after my Taichi form so it wouldn't get sweaty and I had to quickly struggle into it on the way to the stage. As I stepped out into the performance area I noticed the masters were grinning and some people in the audience appeared to be snickering. I'd missed a button on my jacket and buttoned it squiffy. Ok, ok, not a problem, undo the jacket, quickly do it up again... but my fingers aren't really working too well at this point and I have to give up before I'm finished cos people are getting impatient. It's ok, my form will get me through, we're here for the Kungfu afterall...

Right, start the form, I've done this hundreds of times... but never on carpet... and the carpet's not stuck down... five moves in and my feet are tangled in carpet, but I'm so focused on the movements and keeping my balance on this new surface that I don't notice until I try to change direction and realize I can't even lift my feet. I managed to wrestle free of the inappropriate floor covering and continue but by then the damage was done, I'd lost my rhythm and a few moves later I was lost.

Reddening in the face a little I turned to the masters and asked if I might be permitted to start the form again. The masters kindly agreed but by then I was feeling somewhat less confident in my ability to perform kungfu, at least on this surface. My second attempt was a little less enthusiastic which along with my previous troubles affected my final mark somewhat. I got 8.2... again, a little generous I thought.

My final form was the Shaolin Tiger Form, my favourite, maybe I can claw back a little self respect by blasting through this. I practice this form a lot, it's only short and there's only one kick so less chance to lose my balance... but once again my heart is going ten to the dozen so I misjudge the pace I'm moving at and when it comes to the move in the middle where you spin from a low back fist to a high open palm strike I'm traveling too fast and I wobbled and nearly fell.

Doh, so I fluffed another form. It wasn't a disaster but I was once again frustrated and annoyed with myself for failing to deliver the goods. I sat down and awaited the masters' verdict... 8.2! I was starting to think the marking policy was a little bit fishy. In the end I was awarded decent marks for all of my forms but it was so frustrating. I can do these forms with my eyes closed, but on the day, when it mattered I goofed. Oh well, there will be other exams, other chances to prove my kungfu skill. This was only my first exam after all.

The fallout of the exam has been that the masters have decided we aren't able to generate enough power with our legs. As a result we are having to train stances more than before. It's not much fun but I find that when I'm stood there in a horse stance, my legs on fire, it helps to dream of a day somewhere in the not to distant future when I might actually be... Shaolin!


All the best,


Posted by IRShaolin 04:03 Archived in China Tagged backpacking Comments (2)

Moving Day

Strong like ox but still not Shaolin :P

sunny 10 °C


It's been a while since I was able to make a blog entry as the internet has been unavailable for the last few weeks. We're back up and running now so I thought I'd start bringing you all up to date with a series of shorter blog entries I like to refer to as "mini-blogs," to break up the excitement into manageable chunks.

So what have I been up to? Well we've moved accommodation over to the main school building, I finished learning Tiger Form in Shaolin class, I've learned a new form called the Sleeping Fist, I've finished Yang 24 Form in Tai chi and started learning Chen 56 form, we've had some Kungfu exams, started power stretching, trained in the snow, cracked a rib sparring and taken to the roads with China's answer to public transport. See, why we might need to break this up a bit? :)

As you may have guessed from the title, this first mini-blog will be dedicated to the Big Move. Our previous accommodation was in this building;


These were basically self contained flats, two bedrooms, a toilet and a washroom, two people to a room. Pretty sweet setup but it was only ever intended as a stop gap until the school block renovations were completed.

The original school block had been almost entirely gutted and redecorated in that quaint Chinese way where they plaster the walls first then start putting in the electrics and plumbing. If i was a plasterer in China I wouldn't know whether to cry when my previous days work was destroyed or laugh knowing I would inevitably be paid to do it again. Anyway, the majority of the work had been done and the boss here was keen to get the students moved into the school so it was decided that one Friday we would have the day off lessons and would instead be moving furniture.

Most of us were pretty excited at the prospect of a break from routine and a change of scene, so excited in fact that after breakfast we all ran over to the new block and picked out which rooms we wanted! Apparently this isn't how things are done in China and we should have waited for rooms to be assigned to us but we were all so caught up in the excitement of the big day that even a telling off by the headmaster didn't dampen our spirits.

We waited for an hour or so for our breakfast to settle then we were led over to the storage buildings where all the furniture had been hiding. Cowering inside we found a small herd of MFI style flatpack furniture and a flock of mattresses all awaiting relocation to the new block. And so the work began, at least for some people, Hilary amused herself by documenting the sweaty men, probably for some specialist website she's setting up.




We were a little surprised the Kungfu masters weren't leading the charge with the furniture, what with them being super fit and everything. Qu Sifu explained it to us later; there are different kinds of strength, both the lion and the ox are strong, a lion is strong in a fight, an ox is good at pulling heavy loads. Guess I'm an ox then :P.

To be fair he's got a point and isn't just weaseling out of the hard work. He has trained his spine to be straight rather than curved and a lot of his strength is like that in a flexible branch or whip. He regularly demonstrates how his less obvious strength is superior to my physical strength, usually by standing me in front of the class and having me attack him. He put me in an arm lock today and sat on me. I'm like twice his size and he throws me around like a rag doll, totally awesome!


After we got all the furniture moved across to the new block, we moved our clothes and stuff across and got our rooms set up. It is so nice having a real mattress, I'd spent the last two months sleeping on an inch thick sliver of foam over a plywood base and after the first three days the foam had gone limp as a piece of lettuce. Having some space all to yourself is also nice, somewhere you can get settled and call your own.

So without further ado I present Robin's new room!



Pretty sweet, eh?

We've got some decent toilets here too. We had raised some concerns over their installation when we noticed that they were free standing with no cubicals; it seems that communal toilets are not as much of an issue here, but the matter was quickly rectified with the construction of partitions (and eventually doors) which was something of a relief for everyone.


We're still showering in the communal shower block which is a bit hit or miss. The showers are solar powered so a cloudy day can make the water unbearably cold. We're hoping that an alternative will be provided for when the winter weather really starts to set in... but we're we'll save the stories of cold weather for another time :)

Ok, this brings us to the end of our first mini-blog, next one will follow in a few days. I'll get some more videos uploaded too. Hope you enjoyed it, promise the next one will be all about Kungfu :)


All the best,


Posted by IRShaolin 03:03 Archived in China Tagged backpacking Comments (4)

Video Fun

Not yet Shaolin but I'm a snappy mover :D

sunny 24 °C

As promised I have managed to get some videos of me doing the kungfu thing uploaded.

First we have the basic Shaolin Long Range Fist form. This is not a particularly flashy set but the moves are all fairly practical and translate well into application. Still needs a little practice but I'm getting there :)

Next video is just the first few moves of the Tiger Form. This one totally rocks! Can you feel the power? Can you?

Learned two more moves of that form today but think I'll save them up and upload a video when it's all finished.

And finally we have a short video of me doing some funky leg sweeps. This is one you can all try at home :)

That's it for now I'm afraid, gotta get to bed so I can be fresh for TaiChi at 6:00 tomorrow.

Night everyone,


Posted by IRShaolin 05:21 Archived in China Tagged backpacking Comments (4)

(Entries 11 - 15 of 22) « Page 1 2 [3] 4 5 »